Bookends

Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you
Paul Simon
Thanks to Gary Cliser for creating this video for me.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

M is for Mossie and Maude

Way back in the beginning of my family history research, I ran across the names Mossie and Maude. I thought the names were a little strange but then, my name is Ann Eliese so I guess I shouldn't throw stones. Anyway, the more I researched, the more I found Mossie and Maud in use.

For example, this is one picture I used before.

My Great Uncle Victor and my 1st Cousin, 1 time removed, Roy Hatfield. Since I find that confusing, Roy is the son of my grandfather's sister. Anyway, the two girls in the background are Mossie and Maude Cope.

This is where I need to pay attention because the Mossie and Maude in this picture are the daughters of Bobbie Cope, who is the daughter of my grandfather's sister.

Then there are these pictures.

As far as I can tell... this is Mossie Cope, Maud Conard, Roy Hatfield, Maude Cope and Esther Snodgrass. The only one not related is Maud Conard and I'm not really sure of that.

These are the same five people on the "punt". This is the way they crossed the Clinch River. I'm not sure what was on the north side but there are quite a few pictures of this transportation being used by different members of the family. They must have been pretty good at it because all of them appear dry in the photos.

So now you see the two Maude's so here's the other Mossie.
Victor Rhea, brother to my grandfather, his wife Cornie, mentioned in the "K" post, and their daughters, Mossie, Opal and Jewel. Mossie is the wife of Jack Livesay, mentioned in the "L" post and the mother of Sheldon.

It may be typical of many of the older generations to reuse or share names but it is difficult to track when the names are the same. I remember when I was just starting out before I understood that my family was out to make this really difficult. Now that I know their fondness for doing the same name over and over again, I am no longer confused. I think it's because they have become more than names and to me, real people who stories I need to tell. So to the Mossie's and Maude's in my family, I know who you really are!

7 comments:

  1. That's a fascinating look at your family history. You've done some great research. And now that I've heard those names, Mossie and Maud, I like them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures and I would be in the river for sure! I know what you mean about names. My mom's family history(German) loved using names with "Gott" in them-"Gottfried", Gottlieb", "Gottlob"... Ughh

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat post. Mossie has been a nickname in my family for a long time (surname Mossman), but I've never heard it used as a name proper. Those are some awesome photos as well. What process did you use to get them on your blog? The quality is so good.

    Visiting from A to Z blog challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photos were scanned from the original pictures. Since they are not digital, the quality seems to be better. I love the old photos.

      Delete
  4. Such lovely names.. Mossie, Opal and Jewel.
    just popped in from the A-Z challenge to say hello,
    Fellow A-Z blogger
    Kim in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stopping by on the A to Z Road Trip. Loved the blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there.
    I don't know what it is, but I have always preferred black and white photos over colour ones.
    Hope you enjoyed taking part in the A-Z Challenge! I didn't get to visit your blog during the crazy month of April so I'm popping over today from the Road Trip.

    Entrepreneurial Goddess

    ReplyDelete