Bookends

Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you
Paul Simon
Thanks to Gary Cliser for creating this video for me.

Friday, April 3, 2015

C is for Christine Edmonds

Christine Edmonds died much too young.

Ella Christine Edmonds was born on July 29, 1930, the middle child of my Aunt Ruth and Uncle Marcus. This is where I share I am always surprised when I see her name because she was never called Ella. Both girls went by middle name and her brother by initials only. Duh, my aunt never went by her first name either so now it makes sense.

The little one is Annette, the older one Christine, both of them holding my mom's hands. The photo was taken in about 1936, somewhere in Texas, probably Wichita Falls. 
 As children, we spent a lot of time in Texas with my Aunt Ruth. Uncle Marcus passed away when we were young and Aunt Ruth went back to school to become a nurse to support her children.

Christine and Martin Wilson. Donna Ruth, David and I. 
Christine grew up and married Martin Wilson in 1948. They had three children although only the youngest was not born when this picture was taken in March of 1953. This in on their farm in Sweeny, Texas. We got in so much trouble after this picture was taken when we discovered the down pillows in the shed. Pillow fights are fun until your parents find you covered in feathers and all the pillows destroyed.


Christine Wilson died on March 11, 1978 after a sudden illness. We were all shocked and saddened by her early death. She was very involved in her community and the lives of her children. She might be gone (and it has been a while) but she has lived on in my memory and was never forgotten.

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea for the A to Z challenge. I have a history blog that I have not written on in years. I may take your idea the next time I do a blog challenge to revive that one.

    What a great way to save history, bring it alive and review what you already know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful tribute to your relative. It's so sad she dies so young and so quickly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann, Love the blog format and your opening quote from Paul Simon. So appropriate. I appreciate this tribute to Christine. But I had to laugh at the business about names -- we have that in our family too where so many go by something other than their given name.
    Visiting from AtoZ

    ReplyDelete