Bookends

Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you
Paul Simon
Thanks to Gary Cliser for creating this video for me.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

H is for Hutson, King and Queen

Much of my understanding of the family history comes from five letters my great grandmother sent to my grandparents in 1918 and 1919. The little snippets in the letters gave me a better understanding of the family and the community they lived in.

In one of the letters she talks about King Hutson.

"King Hutson paid 3900 for that piece of land after Ans Mathis had bought a strip next to him for 500 dollars, making that piece cost 4400. King Huston let Samps, Henry and Levi Hutson have it."

Well, that's was about as clear as mud but as I got further into the history, names started popping up. I still can't identify Ans Mathis but the Mathis family does appear on the census so I'll have to make a concentrated effort to track him down. Samps, Henry and Levi are King's children.


Alice and Amanda (Back L to R) Queen Elizabeth  and King Samuel (Front)



King Samuel Hutson was the youngest of four children. When I first ran across his name, I was intrigued. Who names their child King Samuel? Then I ran across something else showing he had a sister named Queen Elizabeth. This was before I knew that King was the father of Cornie, who married my great uncle Victor. I thought I had the name Cornie wrong because there are so many misspelling in genealogy but that was her name.

I don't know when King died but he is the older man shown in the picture below.


Queen Elizabeth Hutson married George Washington Perry and moved to Indian County in Oklahoma. 
Queen Elizabeth Perry about 1900 in Oklahoma
Queenie died in 1939 at the age of 88. The other two sisters, Amanda and Alice lived well into their 80's and never married.

The Hutson family is no longer strange to me but in the beginning of my foray into genealogy, it was a mystery. Today, they are just part of the family although I would like to know more. Fortunately, their great grandchildren are cousins I know well, so maybe it's time to start pushing them for information. 

1 comment:

  1. Once one goes into Genealogy it is so hard to stop. I have my mom's but my dad's is going to be crazy. I found 12 different spellings of my grandmothers name! The names are interesting!

    ReplyDelete