Bookends

Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you
Paul Simon
Thanks to Gary Cliser for creating this video for me.

Saturday, April 4, 2015

D is for Reverend and Mrs. Drake

I don't remember these people but the names stay in my memory. Reverend Drake was the pastor of our little church in La Puente, California and of course, Mrs. Drake was his wife. I have a couple photos of them taken by my mother long ago.

Immaunel Baptist Church was started in Revered Drake's house in 1953. 

By 1958, the church on Francisquito Ave. was completed. 

Mrs. Maddox, Mrs. Cockrell, Reverend Drake, Mrs. Crane, Mrs. Drake, 1958, Immanuel Baptist Church

Where the Drake house once stood turned into a parking lot, progress at its best. 

Mrs. Drake, Mrs. Crane, Reverend Rich, and Reverend Breland, who was the Pastor in 1958. In West Covina where Rev Drake's home stood when Immanuel Baptist Church was organized.

2 comments:

  1. Poignant pictures, I especially liked the context you created with the 1950 era picture of a parking lot replacing a home.

    Visiting from A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so sad when homes or parks are demolished for a silly parking lot. I love 50's fashion

    ReplyDelete