Bookends

Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you
Paul Simon
Thanks to Gary Cliser for creating this video for me.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Missed opportunity - Johnnie Clyde Gibson Rhea

My mother often wrote to Johnnie Rhea because both of them were into genealogy. When Patty and I went to Tennessee last year, we missed the opportunity to meet and talk to Johnnie. She passed away on January 18, 2014.

A lot of the family history was shared between my mother and Johnnie. I didn't realize it until today that she was the daughter of Tip Gibson. Sheldon's photo box contained a picture of the Gibson family but I didn't know who they were until I started researching. 

There is a blog called Historical Melungeons where Johnnie shares the story of her early life. It is a snapshot of what it was like to grow up Melungeon and if you haven't heard of the Melungeons, their history is fascinating. 

The Gibson Family - not sure who is who but at least we have a family portrait. 

Johnnie Rhea married George Sled Rhea in 1950. George Sled Rhea was the son of Jesse Rhea and Mattie Greene. (There sure are a lot of Greene's in this family.) Jesse Rhea was brother to my great grandfather, John Carter Rhea. 


1 comment:

  1. I have a photo of Hillary Gibson who is my great great uncle and he is a dead ringer for the young man in the back. I would like to scan and share it with you if you are interested?

    ReplyDelete