Bookends

Time it was, and what a time it was, it was
A time of innocence, a time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories, they're all that's left you
Paul Simon
Thanks to Gary Cliser for creating this video for me.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Jim and Sarah Jaynes - EUREKA!

I was completely clueless for this one. The back reads "Jim and Sarah James" and is one of the pictures Jewelle Rhea kept so it must have been important to her. The surname "James" does not come up in our family tree.  The time frame would be about 1885 to 1985 in Tennessee. 


However, I am a researcher so I just couldn't leave it alone. I went out on Ancestry to see if I could find anything about a Jim or Sarah James in Tennessee. Nothing jumped out at me until I looked at the 1900 Census. There is a Jim and Sarah James listed in District 6, Hancock County, Tennessee. Someone has gone in and corrected the last name to "Jaynes". Now, that makes sense to me because although they are not related, my great grandmother talks about them in her letters to my grandparents. If you actually look at the Census, it really is Jaynes and the writing on the pictures is faded so it is hard to tell.

So here's what my great grandmother had to say about the Jaynes family.

January 2, 1919
John and George Jaynes have bought the strip of land between them and Baker, Paid $3000 for it.

October 10, 1919
"Bill Jaynes has been home for a weeks stay. He has 2 boys at his house in Texas."

While she doesn't mention Jim or Sarah, the 1900 Census has the other Jaynes families. Just to be sure I am on the right track, I wrote to the Ancestry member who corrected the census. If I hear back, I will update this post.




No comments:

Post a Comment